Sunday, June 7, 2009

Setting Healthy Boundaries

From the Boundaries Book by Townsend and Cloud:

Test Your Own Boundaries!

Here are some thought provoking statements to help you test and challenge your existing boundaries and help you reset your boundaries where appropriate.

SETTING HEALTHY BOUNDARIES

I GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION:

· To make choices in my life beyond mere survival.

· To discover, get to know and allow God to challenge my boundaries.

· To grieve over and forgive the less than perfect parenting I received.

· To recognize and accept my own value system and follow my own standards.

· To say NO to anything I am not ready for or is unsafe or which violates my values.

· To have dignity and expect to receive respect.

· To make decisions in harmony with my boundaries.

· To determine and honor my priorities and not surrender control to others.

· To expect my needs and desires to be respected by others.

· To end conversations with people who make me feel put down or humiliated.

· Not to be responsible for the behavior of others.

· To empathize but not to be responsible for the feelings or problems of others.

· Not to be perfect or expect others to be perfect.

· To make mistakes and allow others to make mistakes without rescuing.

· To be honest and expect honesty from others.

· To acknowledge my own feelings, desires and needs.

· To be angry even with those I love.

· To be me without feeling I am not good enough.

· To feel scared and say "I am afraid".

· To experience and then let go of fear, guilt and shame.

· To change my mind and allow others to change.

· To be happy.