Friday, January 29, 2010

Shake it off!

I awoke this morning with the most delightful memory of a dream. I dreamed a friend and myself were seated on a sofa, drinking a hot beverage while we sunned ourselves on a white sandy beach. This scene was presented to me at least three times before I awoke. I could hear the surf and the sun was so bright and penetrating. I stretched and asked the Lord what was up with that dream. It was a very pleasant dream and I knew it was from Him since it came to me more than a few times just before I opened my eyes.

The Lord told me the dream was just a way to get my attention. Then I heard the Lord say "Whatever you desire..."then again "Whatever you desire..." I referred back to the dream-- "Lord, was the dream about something I have desired?" It was like the Lord chuckled..."The dream was just to make sure I had your attention." Oh duh...now I get it. Then I hear..."Whatever you desire when you pray BELIEVE and you shall have it." (Mark 11:24) Then of course I understand this thought is what the Lord wants me meditating on for the day. Very cool way to start my day. If you have a similar sense of humor to mine maybe you are chuckling too.

I have been challenged recently by more than a couple people to really get it established in my heart to KNOW that I'm a blessed child of God.

This has not always been the case for me. I used to go by my circumstances to judge whether I was in right standing with God. My natural senses or what was going on in my life was the barometer for my spiritual health. I assumed if I read my bible and prayed "faithfully" then somehow God would be obligated to "bless" me. And of course when I was not being a "good" Christian then God was just as obligated to make sure that I would have woes.

I really had an unhealthy view of God's grace. I knew I was saved by grace but for some reason believed I had to do XY & Z to stay in His “good graces”.

It was mixing Grace with the Law.

Trust me--this is a yo-yo way to live. Instead of going from glory-to-glory you will go from the rare mountaintop to plunging into the depths of despair. The bible calls this double mindedness and it must make God just shake his head longing for us to stand firm in faith.

So what does it mean to KNOW you are blessed and not cursed? First of all it has nothing to do with you--or me and everything to do with what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

I needed to learn that Jesus became the curse so I would not have to suffer any of the curse. I had to come to recognize that salvation does not just mean saved from hell and eternal separation from God but ETERNAL LIFE starts now --in this life--with blessings that we experience NOW in this life and not just in the sweet by-in-by.

We need healing now--not in heaven.

We need prosperity now--not in heaven.

We need peace now etc... We have been duped by the enemy of our souls into believing that we would have to live a perfect or near perfect life in order to have God bless us even a little in this life.

I'm purposing to shake off a lot of religious mindsets that have hindered my faith.

*
I'm shaking off the religious notion that I am a vile sinner. Yes we need to confess we need a savior but rather than concentrating on my sin, I'm choosing to be Christ-conscience.

This might shock some of you, but it is empty, vain religion that wants me focused on sin. If I focus on sin then I can't fix my eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of my faith.

*
I'm shaking off the notion that I'm desperate for spiritual things.

I hear songs "I'm desperate for you..." and realize that if the Holy Spirit resides on the inside of me--available to me and fellowshipping with me constantly then to say I'm longing for relationship does not make much sense.

I'm realizing a better way of approaching this is

"I'm so enthralled by Your glory...”

“I'm ravished by Your tenderness and mercy...”

“I'm delighted by Your loving kindness...”

“I'm so blessed!”

To me it is like being in an embrace with your lover and then saying...I'm so desperate to be in your arms...huh?

*
I'm shaking off the concept of continually being hungry for God. WHOA! Back up the truck! Jesus said, "Blessed are you who hunger for you will be filled." But does that mean we keep hungering? No, Jesus accomplished everything we need to be filled. I am going to recognize that He fills me and gives me everything for life and godliness.

God knows I love word-pictures and today He showed me a plate of steaming hot food--all my favorites--and the plate was heaped full. He said if you are hungry it is because you got up from the table without eating.

My mom used to say, "It's not my fault if you walk away hungry." That makes me chuckle. She was right. The food was all prepared and on the table and if we didn't come to the table well we just went hungry. It's like complaining to God, "Fill us!" when it's our fault we do not come and dine.

So I’m shaking that off. I'm focusing from now on that everything I need for life and godliness in in Christ Jesus.

And lastly,
I'm purposing to acknowledge that faith means I know I have it in Christ. I'm not waiting and hoping for a blessing in the future but thanking God now that He has blessed me with everything spiritual blessing in Christ. NOW faith is the substance---whatever you desire—believe you receive.

This does not sound like a wait and hope that it all works out type of mindset. And since I am a joint heir with Christ, I recognize the authority given to me by Christ.

I'm speaking to the mountains and expecting them to be cast into the sea.

I'm cursing the root of any problem expecting the manifestations to be revealed.

I speak to my body and mind and tell it to line up with what God's Word says. I am not wondering why God is not "answering my prayers" since he gave me the authority. I am not demanding of God but just doing what he told me to do.

Religion says we have to beg God and hope He sees fit to bless us. It’s true some things we have to wait for His timing but mostly that is an excuse that allows us to say, “it must not be God’s will or He is saying not now.”

I want to make it my habit to step out of the boat and expect God to hold me up. But really when did Jesus ever say to someone while He walked on the earth, “It’s not my will you are healed or blessed. Go and wait on Gods timing.”? I know some of us get hung up on Paul’s thorn in the flesh since he asked God to remove it from him three times and God said “My grace is sufficient for you” then that must mean God says no. It makes more sense that He says yes but we are just stuck in a religious rut and don’t want to risk having faith. –Hey chill out--I’m preaching to me too.

And finally, I am to thank God He has qualified us to be partakers in our inheritance through Jesus. Thankfulness shows me and shows God that my heart is lined up with expectation and not hope for a future blessing.

Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks to the Father, Who has qualified and made us fit to share the portion which is the inheritance of the saints (God's holy people) in the Light.

post script:

Here is an excellent explanation of Paul's thorn in the flesh posted by a friend of mine. The explanation is from Gloria Copeland. Well worth reading!!!

http://treesplantedbythewater.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-about-pauls-thorn-in-flesh.html