Thursday, September 9, 2010

God is Not in the Business of Fixing Junk: He's in the Business of Restoration

I had been chewing on it for several months before I felt brave enough to make this my status update on Facebook:

"God's not trying to fix the old me...nope... the old me died. He made me a NEW CREATION IN CHRIST. So I will discontinue trying to fix a corpse."


It's only been a few months since I have discovered that God is not interested in fixing my old nature. I knew the Word of God says that we are a New Creation in Christ Jesus, but some how missed the part that God is not interested in behavior modification.


He does not want to fix the stuff in my life or your life that is broken. At least not fix the old sinful natural man born of Adam's seed. I was re-born of the Last Adam (Jesus) so I am reborn of incorruptible seed. We just have to have it revealed to us who we really are.



I knew that the Word says we are overcomers in Christ and that no weapon formed against us shall ever prosper, but it seems for so many things in my life that I was not overcoming and not prospering. I knew 3 John 1;2 that says, "Beloved I pray that you would be prospering and be in health just as your soul is prospering" but I would think this was something I did to make my soul prosper. I would sincerely ask God to purge me of the weak or bad character flaws that kept me from living a victorious life. I would ask God to show me how to overcome that junk that remained in my life. I was asking God to fix my old sinful nature.



This is good to want to change. It's good to want to live a more holy life and be a better example of a Christian. I would even see some change at times in my life to overcome some really yucky, unholy, shameful junk that seems to stick to me like slime. I would seem to change and even proclaim a victory but then the same junk would just keep creeping back in my life and I would be right back at square one.



Why is this? It's seems pretty simple to me now. God is in the business of restoration. He does not want to fix the old junk you (your sinful nature) Nope! He is using a process that is called sanctification (1 Thes 5:23) that does not fix the old nature but reveals the New Creation to your mind. If we can understand in our soul or mind about who we are IN CHRIST then we will start living it. However, I have proven the opposite to be true in my life. If see myself as junk that needs to be fixed then I will continue to identify myself as broken junk never able to do the job I was designed to accomplish.



When I really got a hold of the truth that I was crucified with Christ, then buried with him, that qualified my old sinful nature as DEAD!!! I died! My old yucky, sinful, unholy person died and also was buried. I did not know that I was not to dig it up and ask God to fix it. Sounds rather silly now. I'm a brand New Creation. I was qualified to partake of the divine nature (Col 1:12). God had to do this because His Holy Spirit could not dwell in an unholy habitation. That's why the Holy Spirit only visited the Old Testament believers. They were not redeemed by Christ so they could house or be the tabernacle of the Most High God. Hallelujah! That we can have His Spirit dwell within us.



If I believe I am a sinner that is saved by grace then I continue to identify with being a sinful creature. But I I know that I'm the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (2 Cor 5:21) then I start to identify myself with God's righteousness inside of my new nature. God needed me transformed into a holy vessel because a Holy God cannot live inside of an unholy habitation.



The moment I was born-again I was made holy and righteous because of His grace toward me. It is unmerited favor of course. I did nothing to deserve such a gift and in the same manner I can do nothing to deserve God continuing to work in me to transform my inward nature to my outward life. This is God's business. I can only cooperate by choosing to believe that this process is taking place.



So my new motto: "Nice people do nice things but changed people change a culture." Since I now recognize that I'm a New Creation and not some piece of junk that God is trying to fix up. It is a truth that is setting me free!