Thursday, September 2, 2010

Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush

I must admit it is still hard for me to be transparent and allow people to see how I walk through this thing we call "Life." I finished my book on 8/16 and submitted to my publisher. It was a huge joy the whole time I was writing it and although at time tedious to read and re-read my work it felt like I was being encouraged over and over by the very teaching I wanted to bring to others. So it was a huge shock and disappointment for me to awake exactly one week later feeling like a load of bricks was on my chest.

Of course I prayed and took my authority over this attack. After a few days, I was still not feeling well and my blood pressure was still very high, I went to see my doctor. No surprises there that he said to continue to take my prescribed medication to keep my blood pressure in a healthy range. But still a couple weeks later with controlled blood pressure, I was feeling extreme fatigue and aches in my body.

Of course the enemy tried to lie to me and tell me that depression was upon me again along with all the symptoms of pain, fatigue, anxiety and the whole dung pile. Well, I knew that was a lie. God does not heal us to see us go back under the same oppression but honestly, I felt like I was missing a key to healing. What I was missing was THE Key to walking in the strength of the Lord.

A few days ago, I was having a delightful conversation with a dear friend who was telling me about how God delivered her from a besetting sin. She shared with me the account in 2 Samuel 5 where David went up against the Philistines in the place that is called Baalperazim ( Breakthrough). David was also instructed to listen for the sound in the tops of the mulberry trees.

My dear friend's testimony of God's goodness and grace to change her from the inside out was like a drink of fresh water in my season of discouragement. I was a bit afraid she took it the wrong way when I laughed aloud with joy when she said this account made her think of the song "Here We Go'Round the Mulberry Bush". Her whit and desire to share how God brought her through was inspirational. I thought it's true, these strongholds of sin or sickness are like the song "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush"

So as we look at this account we see that David's army destroyed the enemy, but they left a bunch of junk laying around. It says in verse 21 that they were to burn it but this word in the Hebrew is nasa' and it means to lift, bear up, carry, take [1) to lift, lift up2) to bear, carry, support, sustain, endure3) to take, take away, carry off, forgive.] So this junk just sat around--it doesn't say if they used it. Maybe it just lay on the ground getting rusty, but if the word does not mean they actually got rid of it.

If the junk stayed with the Israelite army, could one say it's like mixing the truth with the lies left over from before our breakthrough took place?

The next few verses explain that David's enemy is getting very numerous and congregating in the Valley of Rephaim which is the same word we get the name of God "The Lord our Healer" (rapha' ) So the enemy invaded and grew numerous in the Valley of Healing. Talk about making me pay attention to this story! At that point, I was struggling with the issue of healing again. I was feeling an urgency in my spirit to rid myself of some lies that were left over from after my breakthrough! It was no coincidence that my friend asked me to have coffee with her and told me her testimony and how this scripture played a big part in her deliverance.

So David was instructed to go the long way around and then wait to hear the sound in the tops of the mulberry trees. This word for sound is qowl and it is the same word used to describe the voice of God when Adam and Eve were hiding in the garden after their original sin. I hope this has your attention as well. Adam and Eve's original sin was not believing God.

They chose to believe the serpent and went after stuff that they already had in their possession. They believed they lacked something they already had.

Go to Genesis chapter 3 and see the serpent temped them to 1: "to take the fruit because they saw that the tree was good (suitable, pleasant) for food and 2) that it was delightful to look at, and 3) a tree to be desired in order to make one wise". They already had all of this in their intimate relationship with God. I too have been guilty of going after stuff that I already possess. I too, was feeling like I was lacking something and needed to go after something. Once again the Lord revealed to me, it was a perceived lack.

So let's sum up this account in 2 Samuel 5: 20-25

*Victory in the place of Breakthrough
*David's army does not burn the junk left over by the Philistines
*The Philistines overtake the Valley of Healing
*David is told to go the long way around and wait until he hears the 'sound' in the top of the Mulberry trees which is the same root word for God's voice.
*David once again is victorious over the Philistines and destroys the enemy in the Valley of Healing.

Are you getting excited to hear what God told me next?

I told you I was asking God for an understanding of truth to know if I was holding onto some false believe about healing and lacking some truth concerning walking in divine health. I was asking God and expecting Him to reveal to me a truth that I had previously missed KNOWING that this would bring healing to my body.

The following is what a Facebook friend posted on His wall within moments of my healing:

If a son shall ask for bread (of grace) of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone (of the law)? Luke11: 11~ Beloved, we are to feed this generation with the pure bread of grace, without the stone of the law! Did Jesus say feed my sheep, or discipline my sheep? Jesus said, feed my sheep, not beat my sheep with the law!"

"Beloved, in the old covenant under the law, you would have to be willing and obedient to eat the good of the land! But in the new covenant of grace the word "obedient" has been "replaced" with the word "believe!" So when you read the old covenant, read it with grace eyes like this: If ye be willing to believe, you shall eat the good of the land! Isaiah 1: 19 When we believe right we will be blessed!"~Rudy Rodriguez

THIS was the sound in the top of the mulberry trees--THIS was the sound of the voice of God. I needed to put away my notion that obedience is the way God will use me. I need to trust that Jesus did everything--including obedience to obtain everything for life and godliness. I need to rest in the finished work of the Cross for everything including obedience. I have to trust that submitting to God's way --grace-- will cause me to walk in obedience.

The Old Covenant was obey and be blessed. The New Covenant is BELIEVE you are blessed.