Monday, December 20, 2010

And the Government Shall be Upon His Shoulder

Handel's Messiah is my favorite Christmas music and the song "For Unto Us a Child is Born" is top of the list in my opinion. The fluid harmony touches my heart in a profound way.... "And the government shall be upon His shoulders...." And then the list of the Names that we know Him by: Wonderful Counselor, Almighty God, the Everlasting Father the Prince of Peace. There should be no doubt our God has plans to bless His people not curse.

But the phrase "and the government shall be upon His shoulders" does make one wonder the meaning. I used to thinking that Rome was cruel and the phrase meant that Jesus would be put to death by an actual government. That makes some sense... but it did not bring me hope. It was just an explanation.

The word dominion if you look it up in the original language is misrah which means "rule, dominion, government" This word misah is from a root word sarah which means "contend, have power, contend with, persist, exert oneself, persevere to persevere, contend with." So dominion shall be upon His shoulders.

His sacrifice conquered or took dominion over everything that appears to be a curse in my life.

I was worried this morning that some junk from my past would continue to follow me and my children for the rest of my life. It was heavy on my heart and I heard over and over the part of the song "And the government shall be upon His shoulders" So I looked up the word government...I will tell you it set me free. It did give me HOPE.

We have to accept as the truth that what Jesus did at the cross HAS given us ETERNAL life and that starts today. If it was meant just for heaven then it would be called life for tomorrow. But it's LIFE for NOW. If something looks like a curse in my life then I will just BELIEVE that my Savior carried that on His shoulders 2000 years ago and paid the price. I choose to believe that He already took care of it for me.

The scripture from Isaiah is prophecy about what our Messiah would accomplish...But we know He's already did it. All the promises of God are in HIM (Jesus) yes and Amen! Done! He said Himself from the Cross "It is finished". But will I choose to believe and receive or doubt and go without? I am not waiting for Him to save me from my ignorant mess....I've believing that what He did on the cross already delivered me and I am walking in a victorious life. He came to set the captives free and I declare I am free and so are my children! AMEN!

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.