Monday, December 20, 2010

A Key to Spiritual Maturity...For God So Loved...

What is a answer or the key to obtaining spiritual maturity? What will allow a person to cross from carnal (living from their human perspective) to a grounded or mature faith? Is it passion for the things of God? Is it disciplining oneself in the things of God? Is it daily dying to self?

It's Christmas time and I'm musing over so many wonderful Christmas classics. I was a music major when I started college and loved going daily to choir rehearsal. We performed Handel's Messiah during the Christmas season and it was a highlight of my college experience. I was somewhat ignorant to the fact that these amazingly beautiful songs were written by a man who was inspired by the Bible and the truth in the scriptures. Previous to college I had barely read any of the Bible. I had a knowledge based on what others told me the Scripture said.

I did know a few scriptures and one was "For God so loved the world that he gave is only Son that whoever would believe on Him would not perish and have everlasting or eternal life." (John 3:16) Many people on the planet know this verse of scripture and I think most who do know it take it for granted. But there is power in this--the gospel. It says in Romans 1 that "gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes." Imagine for a moment if you had no knowledge of the Father's love toward you.

So if this truth--knowing of His love to send Jesus is so essential, why does it seem to be such a neglected subject in the Church? When was the last time we heard a sermon or a series preached in worship service about the Father's Love?

We hear about repenting and service and dedicating our lives to prayer. We have it preached many times a year about the importance of the Great Commission. All these subject are indeed important. But none of these subjects will penetrate and CHANGE or TRANSFORM the human heart.

Knowing or experiencing the Love of God is what will penetrate a heart. Knowing His Passion for you will bring you to life. Preaching it to others will ignite a zeal within you that cannot be quenched. All those other subject (all important) will not cause you to become intoxicated by His purpose for your life.

I challenge you this Christmas season to meditate and speak aloud "The Father loves me...He loves me...He sent His Son --my Savior--for me. He loves me and desires me." Speaking this aloud causes a fresh belief within your soul. It changes you...it will change you and bring you passion in your heart and soul.

Here is a new song I discovered that stirs the Gift within me. Beloved by Tenth Avenue North