Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Temple Veil is Torn so I can Enter into God's Presence.

We all have heard "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whosoever believes on him would not die but have everlasting life." But as a Christian, I did not live like that scripture was true.

Somehow the truth of this verse was hidden from me and I had a false premise that I could do something (or not do something) that would change how God looks at me or change how he loves me. I made God like a man who changes with the circumstances.

I was blind to the fact that I could not change the equation.

God's love= giving his son
Gift= free to me with no strings attached.
Everlasting=forever and I can't change this fact
Believe= I believe Jesus paid my way because I am not able to pay the price for sin.

Oh, I believed I was saved from hell and eternal separation from God BUT I had a stronghold in my mind --a lie--that told me after I was God's child I had to work to get God's love, approval and favor. I was convinced that Jesus paid the price for my spot in heaven but I thought I had to work for his favor here on earth.

It's really a view I had of God. I believed He was mad at mankind but gave his Son because he knew there was no other way to let the worms on earth that deserved death to enter heaven. But eternal life is not just going to heaven (another stronghold belief that needed to shatter) but eternal life begins with
acknowledging that Jesus provided everything we need for life and godliness.

2Peter1:3-4
His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Truth is truth even if we are blind to it.

If a millionaire left me all his money, land, and benefits in his will BUT an enemy of mine kept this truth from me--would I still be rich? Would I still have the favor and securities of the rich man who
bequeathed me all his favor and all his prosperity? YES!!! It is legally mine. But if I'm blinded to this fact then I will work and strive for something that rightfully belongs to me.

Previously the enemy caused me to believe I was a servant in the House of God when in fact I'M A SON!!!! God would not trust his riches to a mere servant. No that's a job for a son of God.

Sons have full rights to go around the Master's house and get things accomplished. If a son in the house (Kingdom of God) needs something they don't go running to the Master to beg for it since they have been given full rights to everything in the house. We just laugh joyfully and thank the Master who has thought it best to give you everything you need through what Jesus accomplished for you.

Do you remember in Matthew chapter 27 the account of Jesus giving up his Spirit on the cross and at that moment of Jesus' death the veil in the temple was ripped from top to bottom.

Matt 27:51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split.

I used to think--OH BOY! God is really mad now...they killed his son and he's really upset that he torn the temple curtain and shook the earth. I've even heard it described like when a king in the Old Testament was really angry or sad he rent his kingly garments. That's not it. That was not his garments it was a separation or wall between mankind and the presence of Holy God.

Exodus 26:31-35
31And make a veil of blue, purple, and scarlet and fine twined linen, skillfully worked with cherubim on it.
32You shall hang it on four pillars of acacia wood overlaid with gold, with gold hooks, on four sockets of silver.33And you shall hang the veil from the clasps and bring the ark of the Testimony into place within the veil; and the veil shall separate for you the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place.

The curtain or veil was necessary and protected the people from being killed by the Holiness of God. The people had no covering of the Blood of Jesus yet to protect them. Once a year the High Priest went in with the blood of a lamb to put on the ark's mercy seat so for a year the people's sins were covered (not completely taken away like our New Covenant through Jesus).

The ripped veil or curtain is a message to mankind that we walk under an open heaven. God is not keeping us from His presence any more. We can go boldly to the throne of grace and even can call God "Abba Father" or Daddy! We are sons not servants and it was His idea.